Saturday, May 29, 2010

That's Right, I went to the home of the illustrious JANE AUSTEN

So now I realize that all my blogs tend to be a large number of pictures with medium length captions. I don't know how we all feel about it, but as you make no comments, I feel it's fine to continue on in this fashion. If it upsets you, you had your turn to speak, so just deal.

Here is her house, right on the corner. It wasn't as cute or quaint as I was expecting, but it was her last house, and generously given by her brother. So it'll do (pig, that'll do...). Notice how everyone is just flocking towards it.

Behold: the plaque

Behold: Me by the house.

Around the back they have these interactive things for little children (hence me). Can anyone guess the scene?

How about this one?

The outside appearance of the house was completely made up for by the spectacular garden. The flowers were absolutely stunning, all just in bloom. The gardeners took special care to have flowers that were popular during the regency period. And by each flower they have a plaque of its official name, what is was called in Jane Austen's time, and when it was brought over to England. Amazing, right?

Beautiful. I'll spare you the thirty odd flower pictures I took, and just give you the general idea.

Look at this! This picture shows a lock of Jane Austen's hair, her and Cassandra's topaz crosses, and a bracelet of hers. Bah!

Even better, the writing desk!!!! The writing desk where she reworked her novels into publication state. The power of this desk....

Me being Jane Austen
This was a lovely quilt sewn by Jane, Cassandra, and their mother. It took some serious dedication. The other side is highly impressive, as well.

This is Cassandra's handkerchief, embroidered by Jane. Can you believe it? The hand that penned Pride and Prejudice sewed those letters.

These items were found under the floorboards. It looked as though Jane was very capable of looking after herself.

Little knife for making quills and quill nubs, I think.

Can you read the card in the pic, cuz that'd be easier.


This is Martha Lloyd's recipe book. She lived with the Austen women for quite a while, and wrote down all the recipe's they used, so we know what kind of foods they ate and made.

I love this. It's one of Jane's stories when she was 14, illustrated by her sister. Isn't that adorable?

For me it was wonderful to see the actual artifacts that made up Jane's life, and influenced in the creation of her amazing books. Sometimes it feels like these great influential people were always somewhat big and important. To see their human side almost makes me feel more equal with those greats, like maybe we could have been friends. It was like seeing Chaucer's sarcophagus coffin thing, and realizing that that man was terribly short. It was just a really cool experience.

I honored the venture by buying a long-desired quill and ink.

I just thought this was funny. On our walk there we went into this subway, where it looks as though a horse had previously been. No one could have been riding him since the ceiling was too low. And it also looks like the horse was so scared going under a busy road that the horse literally crapped himself. Pah ha ha ha.

4 comments:

  1. HOly crap. Now that I've had time to look over your many adventures and wonderment, I am overcome. Gah! I'm so happy that you're there. I would remind you to soak it all up, but you seem to have that covered. And freak. You went to Jane Austens cottage. Blast you. Can I take a stab at the scenes? I'm not sure about the first one. I was going to guess that it was when Lizzie is visiting Charlotte and Colins is in the chair looking up something in for-dices sermons. But... I dont know. The second? Darcy proposal perhaps? Eh. Miss you. Keep adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehehe. I like this.

    The scenes! ok, is the first one when Elizabeth and Mr. Bingley's sister are walking around the parlor room, and Darcy is "enjoying the view"? And the second one, when she's visiting Charlotte, and Darcy bursts and mumbles a bunch of nothing, and then professes his love, and she rejects him?

    Ahem. Anywho, I am a tad bit jealous. And I love the last picture, that is very very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guesses were the same as Marilee's. And yeah, HOLY FREAK you're seeing SO many cool things. You better be writing vigorously in a journal each night as well as blogging. Don't you dare miss any chances to ensure you'll remember all of this.

    (I don't think that made sense, but oh well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You girls are lovely! The last two of you are correct. Very lovely indeed!

    ReplyDelete