Thursday, May 6, 2010

Latest Adventures

OOOooooo K. This is a big post. But It's good, so pay attention.

This is a man we saw by Leicester Square (Where you buy the theatre tickets). I think what he is doing is technically illegal (there's a specifies Speakers' Corner for this business) But he was adamant that we tell the Queen the truth about these secret societies. They're bringing down the world, starting with fashion icons!

Quite a beautiful shot (if I do say so myself) of the fountains at Trafalgar Square.

Yes. I was there. Here's proof.

Attack of the ANIMALS!!!
No matter how stately your stance, a pigeon on the head ruins all.

These painted elephants are all over the place. They were "unveiled" a couple days ago. Different groups and people painted them to raise awareness of the dwindling Asian Elephants.

Me. (and Sara). Kissing a lion. Can we all please note my hair?

Look! It's a little baby one!
(I take this stance every time I pet an elephant.)

And before I leave the animal section I ought to relate the time I wandered around Hyde Park and came across the Round Pond, filled with ducks, pigeons, and swans. A couple different families were rather forcing their kids to enjoy the wildlife. The kids were screaming, surrounded by these feathered animals pecking the ground for bread the kids had dropped in fright.
One dad went to go console his daughter, picked up the bread and tried to hand it to her. He started to feed the birds (tuppence a bag...) turned around and literally came face to face with a swan. I kid you not, the thing was HUGE. The swan was up to the man's shoulder without even extending itself and it just stared at the man, like, You gonna give me that bread or what?

The man picked up his daughter, skittered off, leaving the bread behind.

Yeah Harry Potter!!!
(my eyes are closed because I was magnifying my wizarding powers. Alas I did not make it to Hogwarts. I will simply have to try yet again.)

Regent's Park
So beautiful! They have parks like this everywhere. And everyone uses them. Everyone. It's wonderful and amazing.

Today I went searching for this cemetery called Bunhill Fields where Daniel Defoe and William Blake are buried. It was soooooo enchanting! And beautiful. And wonderfully aged.
And the bonus?
This old man was taking a nap in the middle of the through street. A nap. In the pathway. In his jazzy. This is why we love London. Or old people. Whichever.

But even without the jazzy napper, this place is wonderful.

I saw a worker crawl under the fence (you couldn't actually walk between the headstones--which makes sense, they're old and wearing away quickly). He was rather limber for an elder man. But I think he just checks the quality of the stone but doesn't necessarily keep them tidy. I mean, look at the plant growth on the tombs.
Last but not least here is a picture of my roommate eating something.
It was a giant something from some questionable restaurant sold to us by a girl who doesn't speak English. I'm not sure what ethnicity it was supposed to be, as I got an "English Breakfast" while Janna got this ginormous sandwich thingamabob--the spinach kind, not the meat.

It was rather amusing because I was under the impression that I was getting a sandwich, but instead was served eggs, ham, bacon, baked beans, toast, sausage, cooked tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms (breakfast what?). Janna thought she was getting a pastry sort of something, and here ya go. All was forgiven, however, because we were hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment