Sunday, May 16, 2010

Historic Places

Since it is Sunday I will venture on a matter more spiritual than I am wont. This week I went to Stonehenge, Bath, and Westminster Abbey. And at each place I had a profound and connected experience. I thought I'd share, in case anyone cares (which if not, you can drop off and stop reading--I permit)
To begin, Stonehenge. This place is full of mystery and wonder. People have been coming here for thousands of years, wondering what the hell it's all about (pardon my language--and on a Sunday too!) England has been populated for hundreds of thousands of years, and yet no one seems to have any recollection of a vast group of people moving 18 ft, 45 ton stones hundreds of miles (without the aid of the wheel), and worshipping around them.

But somehow, it was done. And it still stands as a marker of their lives. All of us visitors come prancing around, to gawk and awe, and yet as I came up to these giant stones a kind of reverence comes over and people slowly stopped talking. I just stood. I mean, it is amazing. It is also very possible that the makers' descendants are part of this gawking crowd, and yet we're missing the connecting dots, from Stonehenge to this person right next to me. But the simple fact that this person exists shows that there is connection, even if we can't see it.

And second, the Roman Baths, of Bath.
They've found all sorts of pieces of the Roman ruins, and this piece in particular struck me. It was commissioned by the Roman leaders, but it was the Celtic natives that created it. The Romans, who we assume brought civilization to a majority of the words, relied on a much narrower branch of culture to build up their city. No one is quite sure what this man represents. Some say he's supposed to be a gorgon (which is muddled by the fact that it is a man) and others say he's another kind of god, or king, or who knows what else.

I was simply fascinated that this culture that left little in terms of their history and religion, left their mark by means of the Romans. We don't know what it is or what it means, but it was right in front of me, close enough to touch.

This was another bit made by the Celts. This is their highest ranking deity (from what I gather). It is a group of three goddesses. And it just amazed me because of my belief in a three-person godhead. There is evidence of truth all over, in so many different shapes and sizes, from all different types of people, and yet it is all the same truth. We are all connected in ways that we have yet to fully comprehend.
This is just a pretty shot as we were leaving Bath. Just at the edge of the horizon are some "mountains" (according to our guide) beyond which lies Wales, where the beacons of Stonehenge were quarried. Just think! This is the same land they crossed. This is the same view they saw! We know the land hasn't changed much because the barrows are still there, from the eons before Christ. Though, in actuality, there probably were a great deal more trees.

And last but not least, Westminster Abbey
The abbey was gorgeous. And I was so excited going in because I knew my ancestors have been there, were married there. So it was quite a thrill to be in that space, to be stepping on those stones that have carried so many influential people, including the people who played a significant role in bringing about my existence.

If you're quiet, and you listen, you can real feel the history of the place filling the air around you. People who have changed the world seem to all come together in Westminster Abbey. There they all share a common ground. There's Winston Churchill, Queen Elizabeth, Chaucer, and they all now reside on the same tile, in the same space. It really is quite something.

Well, there you have it. I am sorry if it bored you, or if we failed to share a common thought. It struck me so I thought I'd share on this charming Sunday afternoon.


1 comment:

  1. Mmm. I love those three spots, and you bring up some wonderful points. Those accomplishments really are amazing, and it's so strange that we know so little about those who made them.

    ReplyDelete