Saturday, June 19, 2010

Welcome to St. Petersburg!

Nik and I finally arrived in Russia, after being delayed for a night in Latvia (what? Who goes there?) When we landed and started to make our way to the hotel I got very anxious. Everything when I first landed felt so foreign. The language, the alphabet, the customs. I mean, I've been a few places now, but here I felt so much more distanced between them and me.

We took a bus to the metro (buses are interesting, let's just say that for now) and once we figured out the metro I felt a little calmer. For me the metro in a new place is always the scariest aspect. The signs and directions are all different, people are going fast, and there's no official people around to help if needs be. But I conquered the metro, and feel better about life.

Here is the lovely view from our hotel room. The room is small and the bathroom smaller. It is easily possible for a person to wash their hands while using the toilet while also washing their feet in the shower. Space efficiency is key.

The first day we went to Peterhof, which is a very large palace with some very impressive fountains (as you now see). Look at this picture and notice the size of the actual people (they're small, but keep looking). Like I said, impressive fountainage.

St. Petersburg is cool, from what I've seen so far. It is very different, therefore very exhilarating and frightening at one and the same time. I rather cling to Nik. I have no idea what anyone is saying and can't even begin to attempt to communicate. I do know some of the alphabet, but that's only useful if I have 10 minutes and 1 word, and happen to know the translation.

Bugger, there's a HUGE party going on outside and I want to go, but Nik's not back yet, and I'll admit, mobs of russian people rather scare me on my lonesome.

1 comment:

  1. Russia! It looks beautiful, Bree! I can't wait to hear all about when I see you next.

    ReplyDelete