Sunday, August 11, 2013

Travel Diary: First 36 Hours in France

Here are some notes on my journey interspersed with RULES that I now think everyone ought to adopt when traveling abroad.

Part the First: Getting over there. 
I flew direct to Paris then took a connecting flight to Montpellier. I swear this is the LAST time I'm traveling with a backpack. I said that last time, but I ended up with one because I took a TON of stuff, and it just ended up that way. But really, no more. I hate backpacks, because I just stuff them so full that when I try to find something I have to empty the whole thing out and still not find it. Miserable. Things you don't have to actually carry, things with wheel, are much much better. Light bag for your arms and a wheeled carry on. Rule 1: No over-stuffed backpacks. 

Compression socks were a major plus. Your feet get seriously swollen and puffy. Neck pillow is a must (I couldn't find mine :(  Lost due to that stupid over-stuffed backpack). Also good, sleepy pills, like tylenol PM, Benadryl, or Dramamine. Lots of intermittent sleep on a long flight is good. When I landed I was able to stay up until 10pm and sleep through the night. Then today I had a 2 hour nap (because I was almost delirious with fatigue) and then went on a walk and am feeling good. The time difference between home and here is 8 hours so I wanted to minimize the jet lag as much as possible, and I've done pretty well. Rule 2: Be smart about your sleep schedule.

Part the Second: Finding your way. 
I took a cab from the airport (after a lot of wandering and confused misunderstood questions) because I had a lot of baggage (both physical and emotional, lol). The drive wasn't long, but then became longer because he wouldn't take credit cards (even though it was 31 Euros) and the bank offered no cash exchange. So he drove me around until we found an ATM. Rule 3: Arrive with at least $100 worth of currency, or arrive on a day when the banks are open and you can exchange. My cards work here because Rule 4: Inform bank and credit card companies of your travel plans. 

I got to my hotel and freshened up. The room was tiny tiny. Quite compressed. They did not offer free little shampoos, luckily I had brought some. After that, there was nothing to do but watch Pokemon in French. But I was hungry. Starving, in fact. So I ventured out...

It was scary, not gonna lie. First of all, I had no map and no idea what was out there. I had phone service, but no data. I followed the road to a train station (best possible choice) and found the city center. Rule 5: When lost, follow the public transport. It leads to all the big things and people, and always has maps posted.

What scared me the most was that EVERYONE was speaking French! I know this is rather obvious but it made it expected that I should speak French too. And no my way around. EEE! I was too scared to sit down someplace to eat, so I just got a pastry and a drink at some starbucks kind of place. Seriously, this city offers croissants every few feet. Delicious. They are, all of them, delicious.

I wandered around for quite a bit because I was looking for something very specific. Rule 6: Arrive in country with an adaptor. It was so hard to find, because what need do the French have for an American to French adaptor? None. It doesn't help that here the stores are typically small and quite specific. I finally found one at the train station. It cost a pretty penny, but it is totally universal. Anything to anything. It's pretty spiffy. Now I can use my computer freely.

Along my walks I have come to the conclusion that Rule 7: Do not trust men that are a) shirtless b) in a park and talking to you c) smiling too much d) offering to help when they don't know what you need. This rule is because, once upon a time I forgot a brush and toothpaste on a really long trip and so needed to find a store that sold such things. I had the roads names in my head and a decent idea of direction. I decided to walk through the park because, hey it's a park, where I was instantly accosted by a young man without a shirt. Naturally I was suspicious, but really, there's only so much you can do when they come up right to your side and start talking very quickly and very directly. I didn't understand him, avoided eye contact and when he touched my shoulder I told him (in French) to not touch me. He backed off slightly but was persistent in his questions.

So, I had to talk, I didn't know how to ignore him when he kept walking in front of me. So I said a little bit, I am in town studying, looking for the convenient store, little things. And he kept talking to me and I kept trying to get a way. Finally he hailed his friend-at-arms, another shirtless, sweat-pants wearing no-good, one who could speak a little English. They chatted quickly then his friend turned to me and said.
     "He want to fuck you, no, with you. You want?"
     I had a horrified pause and gave a laugh. "No."
    "You sure? It this big. You want?"
     Another little laugh and a definite "No."
    And they both left immediately, not even a backward glance. I was all, Hey, I still need to find the store! You're not going to try to work it, at all? Jeeze. 

But worry not. I found the store, got my brush and toothpaste, and avoided the park on the way back. Really, it was a little frightening. I saw that both of those no-goods particularly noticed my hand over the zipper on my purse and the way I kept backing away from them. Also all the other people at the park (AKA old fellas and moms & kids) said nothing and avoided us, even though we were very obvious. No one came to my rescue, but I didn't need to be rescued. The backup plan was the knife in my purse. Here's what I would say about it. Rule 8: Be definite, defensive, and don't let anyone get too close. 

Other than that all I have to say is that it is HOT. Tres chaud. I walked to the train station today and holy cow, so much sweat all over my body. So much sun. If I stayed still for just a minute, I would have stuck to the baking brick and would have had to have my leathery carcass scraped off. No AC either. We're all sitting here, just waiting for the dark.

Pictures up next.

Really quick Rule 9: Bring a bag you can carry up a flight of stairs.
And Rule 10: Bring some small activity that doesn't need electricity or internet to work, like a book or ukulele. It helps pass the time.
Rule 11: Snacks and water are always a good thing to have on hand. 



2 comments:

  1. Girl this story SCARED ME!! I am glad you made it safe though and I can't wait for more updates! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classy. I'm so glad you know some kickass (literally) moves to defend yourself. Ps, this list is very informative for an international novice like me, it should be published where everyone can read it. I am very excite for pictures!

    ReplyDelete