Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dreams in the works

Welp. It's been a couple weeks (right?) so I thought I would update you on my progress.

I thought I would let you know, right off the bat, that dreams can be discouraging little buggers. There always is a limited amount of what you can do and there is also the great likelihood that it will take a while before anything happens. There are many days together that just feel like I am spinning my wheels and getting no where.

But dreams also inspire and encourage. They make the daily grind less grinding. And they give something to work towards, something outside of your current self to look forward to.

Half of my dream is to become a published author. The other half is to become a working actor. I've never been able to decide between the two and when I focus on one the other looks much more appealing. Then after taking a poll amongst my younger brothers they all agreed I should be a writer or an actor.

Thus I am decided. Writer. Actor.

For acting I have found an agency, taken a bunch of pictures, and prepared several monologues. I have yet to audition for anything yet, so that's still in the works. Summer is kind of slow for these things because the summer filming has already been cast and the fall is yet to come. But I'm looking.

For writing: I have just finished the third draft of my novel (YAF, paranormal). And can I just say the third draft was the WORST. I have written books before. I have finished books before, but this is the first time I have done a third draft. The overhaul and rework was really intense. My manuscript was just covered in notes and additions and rewrites and crosses-out. It took me a long time because it was not enjoyable work and often very frustrating.

BUT I DID IT!!!

That is the greatest news. I am pushing through the discouragement. I'm ignoring it, even when I look over what I've written and think that it all sounds like crap. I take a break when I need to. I let ideas soak. I push through the petty disappointments and keep focused on my greater goal.

Determination. That's what I've got. Finally. After a year of pondering and puttering I have managed to steel myself on my dream of the future and keep at it.

You may find this boring, and it's alright if you do. I have just decided to use this blog to keep track of my efforts and my progress. It makes me more accountable, and also reminds me that I am doing good things and working every day, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

For those of you who made it to the end, here is some fun (that I love):

No comments:

Post a Comment