Friday, November 22, 2013

French Things I've Discovered

The first would probably be the numbers. For 70 the French actually say 60-10 (sixty-ten) and then on up (75= 60-15) that is until you get to 80 which is actually 4-20's (four-twenty) and then 90 is 4-20-10. Shnazzy, huh? It takes a little practice to get used to and the absolute worst thing is recounting years. Like 1999 is the worst year to say in French. Mill neuf cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf = thousand, nine hundred four-twenty ten-nine. Their numbers contain math problems.

I don't know if it's a southern thing, but they drink their tea and hot chocolate out of bowls. Not in restaurants, but at home. My host mom asked if I would like some tea, and hearing the affirmative she handed me a bowl. Needless to say I was a little confused. And the covers on the hot chocolate always show a kid with a bowl of chocolate milk (chocolate milk is apparently a kids thing unless you get Viennese version).

The plethora of pharmacies. There is a pharmacy at least every three minutes of walking distance, quite frequently less. In the center square of Montpellier you can stand and see 4 pharmacies. This would suggest that the French have a great need of pharmacies. Also they don't have an equivalent to the Tylenol Cold medicine. Instead you get something for each symptom. Therefore you go home with 5 boxes of medication, one for the headache/fever, one for the congestions, one for the runny nose, one for the cough, and one for the sore throat. It's a medicinal party.

Every day I walk to school and there are always (as in always) Muslims outside the Municipal Credit Union. I do not know what goes on in that credit union, but everyday there is a crowd of veil-wearing women waiting for it to open. They all know each other, they greet each other with kisses. Some sit on the steps and others stand. Every day I pass it and try to get a good look on the inside. Do they give free lollipops to the first 10 customers of the day? Do they offer sweet tea? What is it? I WANT TO KNOW.

There is a pen obsession in Europe that is an amazing thing to behold. You can easily find a Mont Blanc pen that costs over $600. I do not know what kind of writing experience such a pen promises, but it must be phantasmagoric. They keep such pens under glass cases. It's like Tiffany's for pens. There are so many pens, of so many varieties. I love it, love it, love it. I found a pen that erases, like honestly erases-leaving no trace of the ink. I have found the best felt-tipped pen ever. And so many colors! It's lovely. And everyone has a little pen pouch to hold their stash. Pen pouches were never much of a thing in my day, but here everyone has them.

Here they sell two kinds of books, a normal book and a pocket sized book. The pocket sized book is a little smaller (though I think you'd have to own a pair of cargo pants to actually fit it in your pocket) and it's cheaper, like under 8 euros. Hence, I have bought a lot of books.

Perfume. There is a perfume obsession here. Multiple stores of just perfume and scenty things. The Sephora here has a little makeup and a ton of perfume. Oh my goodness. And it's expensive average price for branded perfume is 85-95 euros. That's like over $100, and not for a large bottle of perfume. For the average. Whoa.

High school girls don't use backpacks, they use purses.

They're into philosophy. The philosophy section of the bookstore is right inside the door, and it's a very large section.

that's it for now. Bravo if you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment