Friday, April 30, 2010

Hyde Park, Westminster Abbey, and the like

So many many pictures. It's late and I feel I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. Our flat is right across Hyde Park, which is absolutely perfect. Beauty, everyday!
My entrance. (Never mind the date in the corner. I fixed it later.)


Our flat is just a couple windows the the right of this shot.

I thought this was an interesting composition. I'm not sure what was up with this day, but he did look slightly despondent.
Big Ben and tourist central. So many languages were being spoken, it was amazing.
Fuller shot.
The sandwich was dancing, and it excited the kids into running over to him. Their chaperone was disappointed. "Oh no kids! The corporate big man has got you again!"

I took the long way around to get to the other side of Westminster and Big Ben, kind of got lost, and stumbled across the gorgeous little garden/cemetery. I walked around a bit before realizing the slabs were large headstones, not walkways. Oops.

A close up. Most of the tombstones were so old they could only be partially read, most dated from the mid 1800's.
So many beautiful flowers in bloom.

The shot of when I finally came around the other side (after going around the hospital, some schools, that garden, and other such things. The grid system is nonexistent here, and there are so many tall buildings that you are always surrounded and you can never get an orienting view).
A bouquet left beside a statue/monument of an avid player in women's suffrage.

Westminster Abbey is very large. I mean, look at those people. They are practically ants.

A neighborhood right next door. Absolutely charming.

I paid to go to the bathroom. Fifty pence. Which I didn't mind in the slightest because the sign said "public loos" They also offered this. If you read the fine print it says it chews like gum and freshens breath and you spit out when done. So why exactly isn't it gum?

Pretty bird. It totally knew it was the center of attraction (I wasn't the only one taking pictures). Every so often it would look over all smug like, pleased it had posed itself so advantageously.
Breath-taking willow in St. James' Park.

They have pelicans in their ponds. Also strict sign saying not to feed them. Would anyone dare, however? They look like they could take of an arm in one bite. Pretty--but from a distance.
More neighborhood beauty.

Other things of note:
Two mid-twenty-year-old Italians asked me where to find the Peter Pan statue (they had previously been having a heated Italian debate over it). I gave them the correct location (pat on the back)
Our fire alarm went off tonight, and apparently you can't turn if off yourself (aka waving a towel in front of it), so it took fifteen minutes to stop the loud loud racket. RA was not pleased.
Contact lenses are causing me problems. Saline solution stings. Ripped another contact. Hope tomorrow goes better.
So far there have been many lonely moments because everyone came here with friends. Except me, apparently. But I am working on integrating myself with the groups, occasionally resulting in sometimes awkward/stalker-ish behaviour (look! british spelling snuck in!). Temporary problem that has put a damper on some things. Hopefully it'll right itself soon and I won't have to be the hoverer of conversations anymore.
Went to the Victoria and Albert museum today. That place is HUGE and has a lot of awesome stuff. Will return.
Also went and saw my first play! Directed by the famous Peter Brook. I sat on the "pit" which is the floor in front of the stage. Cool stuff. There was a live musician the whole time.

IF you've read all this, I commend you. It's a lot of nonsense. To quote Pascal "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

No comments:

Post a Comment